Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Week 1 Progress

This week was very busy with other GIS activities, but I was able to upload both the raster data as well as the location of the points taken at and around ponds at the Saratoga Battlefield. I understsnd that, in talking to Dr.  Kolosvary, these points are subject to change, but I think having these to work with right now will help me get started. Since this information is mostly just on the computer and has not been generated into something more meaningful yet, this is what I hope to accomplish by next week. I also hope to add other layers found on the New York State Clearinghouse database, that can help add to the overall purpose of this map.

One question I have so far is, why do the coordinate points generated in an excel spreadsheet not work when I click to "display XY data"? Instead an error screen comes up that says "one or more layers failed to draw." If I could figure this out, it would make it much easier to proceed onward. Other than that, everything seems to be going smoothly, and by next week my goal is to have a substantial draft to post.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are making progress, Dana. Try exporting your point "events" as a shapefile (as we did in the lab). That should take care of the "fail to draw" error. Be sure to drop by the GIS Resource Center during office hrs if you need help finding any layers.
    -Prof. M

    ReplyDelete