Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Week 6 Progress

This week I talked to Dr. Kolosvary and confirmed that what I have so far is good, and said I would make time within the next week or so to show her what I have made. I have added the tax parcel data layers to the map, which I found out was a good decision to add because the USA federal lands layer I was originally using for the park boundary was incorrect. Now I am now trying to query out just the Saratoga Battlefield, and creating a layer for that, so that boundary is the only one that shows up. However, I am having trouble deciphering what it is I am looking for in the attribute table that I need to query out for.

I am waiting to send the draft to Dr. Kolosvary until I can get this issue figured out, and make a more presentable map, with the land use layers added in as well. She also asked if I could possibly add in trails that the park has and the spots that cars can stop along their drive to read interpretative signs. This request was a minor detail she said I could add in if I had time, but I am hoping that it is something I will be able to provide for her. Dr. Kolosvary mentioned that in the previous .gif files, these spots were put in already, but since I have been using the map from bingmaps, I need to find a way to get this information.
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you this week, if I can help, let me know. Maybe instead of selecting by attributes it would be better to select by location in order to get the Battlefield?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that you have goals to work toward in the coming weeks. I agree, maybe selecting by location would provide the boundary for the Battlefield. Also, maybe look up the metadata to figure out what the fields mean in the attribute table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent suggestions from your classmates. I recommend doing an interactive selection to get just the Battlefield tax parcels. You'll be able to easily add the parking information. Perhaps we can chat briefly about this during lab this week.
    -Prof. M

    ReplyDelete